It is a cookbook which means it contains step-by-step instructions to use joomla extensions to achieve the optimal site. It shows you how to perform specific tasks in Joomla! using the popular extensions available in Joomla! extensions directory. It will also help you choose right extension for performing a specific task in Joomla! If you want to build a basic Joomla! site and are looking for information on the use of Joomla! extensions and their customization, this book is for you. Prior knowledge of using extensions is not expected but basic knowledge of setting up a Joomla! site will be required. Knowledge of PHP and database skills will be helpful but not essential.
Joomla is an award-winning open source content management system and satisfies all your website needs. It can be extended to add features not present in the default system. Many people using Joomla! build their site easily but when they think of extending their site to the next level, with so many extensions available, they face hurdles. Get over these hurdles with the help of Joomla! Top Extensions Cookbook. This book contains top Joomla! extensions to add maps, image galleries, slideshows, udi and video players, security, forums, shopping cart, guestbook, and other mind-opening functionalities to your site. This book provides step-by-step recipes to enrich and expand your site using Joomla! extensions the way you want to. This book will begin with teaching you how to control access to your Joomla! site and ensuring your site’s security. You will then move on to learn migrating your website to a newer version and integrating Joomla with phpBB. You will also learn how to improve communication among your site users, collecting feedback from visitors by adding a guestbook, adding Ajax contact form, building database applications without coding, and more. As you reach the end of the book you will learn how these Joomla! extensions allow watching users in real time, adding Google map, improving advertising, adding e-commerce functionalities, and better previewing of the contents we created. A step by step guide for extending Joomla!’s functions using most popular extensions for Joomla! 1.5 What you will learn from this book :
- Implement access control list by creating groups and assigning permissions to groups
- Create backups that can be restored on any other Joomla! site and relocate a site to another server without any hassle
- Add an Ajax contact form with custom fields using AiContactSafe extension and add Ajax search to Joomla! site using PixSearch extension.
- Import hundreds of users from a CSV file enabling them to log in without registering themselves using UserPort extension
- Integrate phpBB with Joomla! so that users from phpBB can access Joomla! and vice versa without further registration and by a single login using JFusion extension
- Send tweets automatically upon publishing articles in Joomla!
- Add project management functionalities to your Joomla!-based sites and get notified about new contents from time to time (for subscribers)
- Add attachment to an article in a much easier way using Attachment plugin
- Build a document repository for Joomla! using DOCMan extension for sharing files through your site or if you want to provide downloads
- Add a Google Map in content articles to find your place.using Google Maps plugin
- Display PDF documents inside Joomla! content items using Embed PDF plugin
- Watch your visitors in real-time using JoomlaWatch extension
- Improve banner ads on your site and add classified ads to Joomla! Site
- Use Google Adsense with Joomla! contents
- Preview the page on which you just altered the contents instead of preview button taking you to home page by default