Content items in Joomla! are displayed in content area, such as main component area. Usually you cannot show an article in a module’s position. For example, you want to show an article in Left module position. Joomla! core doesn’t allow you to do so. However, with an extension you can do it easily. In this recipe, I am going to show you how to display an article or a category in a module position.
A popular module, Place here, enables you to publish a content item in a module position. Download this freely available module from http://diebesteallerzeiten.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mod_placehere_v1.3.0.zip and install it from Extensions | Install/Uninstall screen.
How to do it…
After installation, follow the steps below to publish an article in module position:
1. From Joomla! Administration panel, click Extensions | Module Manager. That shows list of installed modules.
2. Click on Place Here module from this list. That shows Module:[Edit] screen for Place Here module.
4. From Module Parameters section, select Article in Type drop down list.
5. Type ID of the article in ID field. You can type multiple Article Ids separating by commas (,).
6. In Show Related drop down list, select Yes.
7. In Offset field, type the ID of the article by which you want to start the display.
8. In Number of items displayed field, type the number of items you want to display in this module. Type ‘0’ for no limit.
9. Keep the other options unchanged and save settings by clicking Save button in the tool bar.
10. Preview the site’s front end and you find the module with your articles displayed.
As you see we have given a title to the module as ‘Featured Article’ and that shows our selected articles.
Place Here module provides you with much flexibility in displaying the content items in module positions. It allows you to show one or more articles, sections, or categoriesin a module position. It also allows to fine tune the display of the content items in the module.
Displaying section or categories
Instead of articles you can mention section or categories from where the articles will be displayed on the module. For doing so, you just need to select Section or Category from Type drop down list in Module Parameters section. Then specify the section or category Ids in ID field.
Fine tuning display of content items
You can fine tune the display of the articles on the module by choosing what to display. You can choose the following options from Parameters section of the module: Primary Ordering, Secondary Ordering, Show Title, Show Intro Only, Show Icons, Show PDF Button, Show Email Button, Show Print Button, Authors, Show Section, Show Category, Show Create Date, Show Modify Date, Show Read more, Link Titles, and so on. You can also define the leading paragraphs, number of columns, width and so on.
Want to read more recipes for Joomla? Read my upcoming book Joomla! Top Extensions Cookbook, published by Packt Publishing.
[amazon_enhanced asin=”1849511802″ /]